Friday, November 20, 2009

Tutorial: Going Glam on the Cheap

Okay, my first tutorial. I did not intend to do this, but I got about 5 minutes into this project and decided that it was turning out better than I expected and other people might like to do this, too. It really started yesterday, when I was checking my email. In my inbox was a flyer suggesting that I might like this. Well, as a matter of fact, I do like that. I like it very much. But it costs $79.00. Really? Yes, really. I could bore you with a long list of better ways to spend $79 (like, almost 100 lbs. of organic rolled oats), but I won't. Suffice it to say I wasn't going to buy that wreath, no matter how much I love. Love. Love it.

So, I did what I always do when I find something I love that carries an outrageous price tag. I started trying to figure out how to make my own. I figured it out and put it together this morning - for about $10. Really? Yes, really. Here's what I did.



First, you will need a wreath. I got my supplies at Wal-Mart. Even though I hate Wal-Mart, I shop there. Don't worry, I flagellate myself with a wet noodle after every shopping trip. There are many to choose from. I chose the 20" Deluxe wreath that was $4.


You will also need some shatterproof ornaments. I bought a 24-pack of red and a 24-pack of silver. You can use whatever color you want. All of mine were the same size, but you can mix up sizes, too. I may go back and add some smaller ornaments later. Or I may not (you never know with me). Each pack was $5, and I used half of each package. So I used $5-worth of ornaments. I also used most of one 30-count package of 18" 20-guage florist wire, which was $0.77.




Because the florist wire was so long, I folded each wire in half.






Then thread the wire through the hole in the top of the ornament.






Spread the branches apart to make a little nest for the ornament.






Place the ornament in the "nest" with the top pressed firmly
against the frame of the wreath and the florist wire wrapped
around to the back. Tightly twist the wire at the back of the
wreath to hold the ornament in place.



I went around the wreath once, making the first "layer" of ornaments. Then, I went around a second time to fill in any sparse areas.

Voila! It looks a lot more sparkly in real life, but it's a gloomy kind of day here, so the photo's not great. I'm thrilled with it. It took $10 and an episode of Go Diego, Go! (The one where the roadrunner Roadie is in a big roadrunner race and there's a sandstorm and...oh, sorry) and I now have a gorgeous wreath on my front door! Woo hoo!

No comments: