Saturday, November 14, 2009

Sooner Chili

Yesterday I said I would post my chili recipe and a scarf pattern - so here we go!

Sooner Chili - I'm an Okie (but not from Muskogee) and an OU Sooner fan. Traditionally, I make my first batch of chili of the "season" for the OU vs. Texas football game. That's typically in October, and the weather has usually cooled off enough to make chili sound delicious again. Before I launch into the recipe, I have a couple of procedural explanations. I make my chili powder from dried chilies. I usually get them at the grocery store, but this year I have been lucky enough to score fresh poblanos from our friend Tim. I then dried them before using them in this recipe. I like to use 4-5 ancho chilies (dried poblanos), depending on their size and an equal amount of another type of chili pepper. Right now, I'm using California Chili Pods that I got from the grocery store. I have used New Mexico chilies before with good results. I don't think you can really go wrong - just pay attention to the heat rating.

Anyway, I take these 8-10 dried chili pods and put them on a cookie sheet along with two tablespoons whole cumin seeds. Put the pan in a 350 degree oven for 3-5 minutes. After three minutes, watch carefully because they will take on a strong flavor if they burn. I watch for them to puff up and they become very aromatic. I let them cool for a few minutes before handling them. Wear gloves if your peppers are packing heat. Pull off the stems and shake the seeds out into the trash. Pop the chilis into the blender with the cumin seeds and two teaspoons Mexican oregano. I have used oregano that wasn't labeled "Mexican" before with equally good results. Mexican oregano is usually a lot cheaper, though. Whirl this in the blender until is is a coarse powder. This is what I refer to as "chili seasoning powder." Now, on with the recipe.

  • 1/2 cup chili seasoning powder
  • 2 pounds ground meat
  • Large onion, diced
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
  • 3 cans petite diced tomatoes, with liquid
  • 3 cubes beef bouillon
  • 1 can each pinto, kidney, and black beans, drained and rinsed
  1. Add water to chili seasoning powder to make a thick paste and set aside.
  2. In a large stock pot, brown ground meat (my fave is 1/2 pork, 1/2 beef - also great with turkey) with onions and garlic. Drain if needed.
  3. Add chili paste to meat and stir well to coat. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, for 2-3 minutes.
  4. Add jalapenos, tomatoes, bouillon cubes and three cups of water to pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
  5. Add beans. Return chili to simmer. Reduce heat and simmer on low for 45 minutes - 1 hour.
  6. Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!

Now for the scarf pattern. I wish I had taken a picture so I could show how my adaptation differs from the original pattern I found, but I didn't. So, you'll just have to take my word for it that it is cute. The original is, too. Here's mine:

Gathered Scarf – My adaptation of the “Mother-in-Law Scarf”

Use size 10.5 needles and DK weight yarn.
· Using cable cast-on, cast-on 15 stitches.
· Knit through the front and back loop of each cast-on stitch to immediately double stitches to 30.
· Start 14-row pattern repeat:
Rows 1-6 stockinette stitch. Odd rows are right-side, even rows are wrong-side.
Row 7 knit two together all the way across to decrease to 15 stitches.
Rows 8-13 knit every row.
Row 14 knit through the front and back loop of each stitch all the way across to increase back to 30 stitches.
· Repeat rows 1-14 to desired scarf length. End with row 7 to leave 15 stitches.
· Bind off 15 stitches. Weave in ends.
Notes:
· Fun and quick knit!
· For a neat edge, slip the first stitch of each row knit-wise and knit the last stitch of each row (even the wrong-side rows). Do this for each row of pattern EXCEPT rows 7 and 14 for increase and decrease rows.
· KnitPicks Swish DK is soft and stretchy, knits up beautifully and is superwash wool – easy care for the wearer, especially if the scarf is a gift. Have knit this scarf in a different yarn, but prefer the Swish DK. Just over 2 skeins – not quite 2 ½ - yields a long fashion-type scarf. Just lovely!

I used the color "Beach Glass" for my sister-in-law's scarf and it is a gorgeous color. Hope you enjoy!

~B

No comments: